
The US Open mixed doubles event is set to boast a star-studded field, headlined by Aryna Sabalenka and Novak Djokovic’s blockbuster partnership. While competing at the Cincinnati Open, Sabalenka poked fun at the 24-time Grand Slam champion as she opened up about their pairing.
What Aryna Sabalenka Said About Her Doubles Pairing with Novak Djokovic
Having recorded a fourth-round exit at the Canadian Open, Sabalenka is aiming to make a deeper run at the Cincinnati Open. Following a first-round bye, the world No. 1 kicked off her campaign with a 6-2, 7-6(2) win over Talia Gibson.
During her on-court interview, Sabalenka was asked who initiated her partnership with Djokovic. She jokingly claimed that the Serb had been “begging” her to team up before expressing her excitement for the US Open mixed doubles competition.
“Well you know, he was begging me to play with him. I said, ‘You know what… Of course legend, I’ll help you out. Let’s try to have fun and go for the title.’ So, I guess it’s true, we are playing. It’s gonna be so much fun. I’m super excited,” she said.
The US Open mixed doubles event was revamped in 2025, with the new format proving to be a success. The competition was moved ahead of the singles and doubles events and featured a $1 million prize for the winning duo.
While Djokovic teamed up with compatriot Olga Danilovic and suffered a first-round exit last year, Sabalenka is set to make her debut at the event after sitting out in 2025.
The competition is scheduled for August 25–26. Djokovic and Sabalenka will be joined by several high-profile partnerships, including Elena Rybakina and Taylor Fritz, Alexandra Eala and Felix Auger-Aliassime, Jessica Pegula and Jack Draper, and Iga Świątek and Casper Ruud, among others.
Before then, however, Aryna Sabalenka will look to lift the Cincinnati Open trophy for the second time in her career as she gears up for her title defense at the US Open. The world No. 1 is set to lock horns with Wang Xinyu in the third round of the WTA 1000 event.
Meanwhile, Novak Djokovic will turn his focus to his preparations for the New York Major after losing his opening match in Cincinnati. Thiago Agustín Tirante claimed a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over the Serb in their second-round encounter.
This article originally appeared on Pro Football Network.
O que achou dessa notícia? Deixe um comentário abaixo e/ou compartilhe em suas redes sociais. Assim conseguiremos informar mais pessoas sobre o que acontece no mundo do tênis!
Convidamos você a clicar em Página de Parceiros para conhecer os parceiros do Tênis Portal e acessar seus sites.
Esta notícia foi originalmente publicada em: Fonte original
