
Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive for cocaine, creating another major setback for the Australian at a difficult point in his career.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency announced the suspension on August 19, 2026, mafter a sample Kyrgios provided during an ATP 250 tournament in Mallorca on June 22 was found to contain benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. A World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory confirmed the result on July 17.
Kyrgios has accepted responsibility for the violation and said he made a “huge mistake.” He has also decided not to appeal the provisional suspension at this stage
The situation is especially significant because Kyrgios has spent the last several years trying to return from a long series of injuries while dealing with the possibility that his tennis career may be approaching its end.
Why Nick Kyrgios Was Suspended
Kyrgios provided an anti-doping sample during the ATP 250 event in Mallorca on June 22.
The sample was later confirmed to contain benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. The WADA-accredited laboratory confirmed the finding on July 17, and the ITIA imposed the provisional suspension beginning August 4.
Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and substance of abuse under the World Anti-Doping Agencyâs prohibited list. It is banned in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme.
The ITIA has also noted that reduced sanctions can apply to substances of abuse when they are taken outside competition.
For now, however, Kyrgios is provisionally suspended.
That means he cannot compete while the suspension remains in place.
What Nick Kyrgios Said About The Positive Test
Kyrgios addressed the situation publicly rather than allowing the news to speak for him.
In an Instagram statement, the Australian admitted that he had failed a drug test in Mallorca and accepted full responsibility for what happened. He apologized to his fans, family, sponsors and the young people who follow him.
Kyrgios did not attempt to blame anyone else for the positive test.
Instead, he explained that the last several years had been extremely difficult physically and mentally.
The former Wimbledon finalist said his recurring injuries had taken a major toll and that accepting the possibility of nearing the end of his tennis career had been harder than he expected. He also said that none of those struggles excused what he did.
That distinction matters.
Kyrgios is accepting responsibility while also explaining the circumstances surrounding a period in his life when his career has been moving in an uncertain direction.
Kyrgios Has Not Appealed The Suspension
Kyrgios has the right to appeal the provisional suspension.
So far, he has chosen not to do so.
Instead, he announced that he plans to step away from social media and public life for 28 days while focusing on himself and his recovery.
The ITIA says that while suspended, Kyrgios is prohibited from playing in, coaching at or attending events organized or sanctioned by World Tennis, the ATP, WTA, Grand Slam tournaments or national tennis associations.
That makes the suspension more than simply a restriction on tournament participation.
For the time being, Kyrgios is removed from the professional tennis environment altogether.

Injuries Have Changed Nick Kyrgiosâ Career
The timing of the suspension is particularly difficult because Kyrgios has barely been able to maintain a consistent professional schedule in recent years.
The Australian missed the entire 2024 season and has dealt with numerous physical problems, including wrist and knee injuries that required surgery. Reuters reported that he had played only 10 matches since the beginning of 2023.
Those injuries have transformed the trajectory of his career.
Kyrgios once looked like one of the most naturally gifted players in menâs tennis. His explosive serve, powerful groundstrokes and unpredictable style made him one of the sportâs most entertaining figures.
But staying healthy became increasingly difficult.
His most recent appearance came at Wimbledon in 2026, where he played doubles with Alexander Bublik. The pair lost in the opening round.
Now another major obstacle stands between Kyrgios and a return to the court.

The Player Nick Kyrgios Used To Be
It is easy to forget just how high Kyrgios climbed before injuries interrupted his career.
He reached a career-high singles ranking of No. 13 in the world in 2016.
His biggest Grand Slam achievement came six years later.
At Wimbledon in 2022, Kyrgios reached his first Grand Slam singles final. He ultimately lost to Novak Djokovic, but the run demonstrated the level of tennis he could produce when everything came together.
Kyrgios also became known for defeating some of the biggest names in the sport.
His combination of power, creativity and confidence made him capable of beating elite opponents even when he entered matches as the underdog.
That talent is part of what makes his current situation so difficult to watch.
A Career Already At A Crossroads
The positive test does not exist in isolation.
It arrives while Kyrgios is already trying to determine whether he can continue playing professional tennis at the highest level.
His body has repeatedly failed to cooperate with him.
His ranking has fallen dramatically because of his limited playing time, and returning to the level he reached earlier in his career has become increasingly difficult.
Kyrgios acknowledged that reality in his statement, explaining that coming to terms with the possibility of being near the end of his career has been one of the hardest challenges he has faced.
That makes the suspension another chapter in an already complicated career.
The question is no longer simply whether Kyrgios can return to his best tennis.
It is whether he wants to continue pursuing that return after everything that has happened.
Kyrgiosâ Past Comments About Doping Make This More Complicated
The situation has also created an uncomfortable contrast with some of Kyrgiosâ previous comments about doping in tennis.
He described those situations as damaging to tennis and questioned how the sport handled positive tests involving high-profile players.
That history means the current situation will inevitably receive additional attention.
But the facts surrounding the current case are still more important than the old comments.
Kyrgios has acknowledged the violation, accepted responsibility and chosen not to appeal the provisional suspension so far.
What Happens To Nick Kyrgios Now?
The immediate future is relatively clear.
Kyrgios cannot participate in professional tennis events while his provisional suspension remains in effect. He has also announced a 28-day break from social media and public life.
The longer-term consequences are less certain.
The ITIA process will determine what happens next, including whether additional sanctions are imposed.
For Kyrgios, the most important issue may ultimately be what happens away from the tennis court.
His statement made clear that he has been struggling with the physical and mental demands of trying to continue his career after years of injuries.
The next chapter will depend on how he responds to this setback.
The Biggest Question Is Whether Kyrgios Can Come Back
There is still a natural temptation to focus only on the controversy.
But Kyrgiosâ career has always been about more than controversy.
He was a Wimbledon finalist, a former world No. 13 and one of the most naturally gifted players of his generation.
He also spent years battling injuries that prevented him from consistently showing that talent.
Now he faces another difficult challenge.
The positive test and provisional suspension could become the final major setback of his career, or they could become the moment that forces Kyrgios to step back, reset and decide what he genuinely wants from tennis.
Nobody outside Kyrgios can answer that question yet.
End Of Nick Kyrgios Rant
Nick Kyrgiosâ suspension is another painful chapter in a career that has never followed a predictable path.
The Australian has admitted his mistake and accepted responsibility for the positive cocaine test. He has not appealed the provisional suspension and plans to step away from public life for 28 days while focusing on himself.
Whatever happens next, Kyrgiosâ tennis career will be remembered for both extraordinary talent and enormous uncertainty.
He has already reached a Wimbledon final and climbed as high as No. 13 in the world.
Now, at 31, he has to decide whether there is another chapter left to write.
The post Nick Kyrgios Suspension: What His Positive Cocaine Test Means For His Career appeared first on Stadium Rant.
O que achou dessa notĂcia? Deixe um comentĂĄrio abaixo e/ou compartilhe em suas redes sociais. Assim conseguiremos informar mais pessoas sobre o que acontece no mundo do tĂȘnis!
Convidamos vocĂȘ a clicar em PĂĄgina de Parceiros para conhecer os parceiros do TĂȘnis Portal e acessar seus sites.
Esta notĂcia foi originalmente publicada em: Fonte original
