Novak Djokovic has another opportunity to capture a record-extending 25th Grand Slam title at Roland Garros this year.
The Serb, seeded third in Paris, hasnât lifted a major trophy since winning the US Open back in 2023. However, his prospects may have improved after Carlos Alcaraz withdrew from the tournament. The Spaniard would have been chasing a third straight French Open title.
While Alcarazâs absence is a boost for Djokovic, Thursdayâs draw didnât do him many favours.
He could meet Joao Fonseca in the third round and Casper Ruud in the fourth. Even so, the three-time Roland Garros champion remains confident in his chances.
Novak Djokovic talks ahead of his Roland Garros campaign
Speaking to the media before the tournament, Djokovic shared why heâs only played one match on clay so far this year.
He said: âI wanted to go to Rome and give it a go despite being far from ready to compete. I needed at least that one match. The preparation has been positive in the last 10 days. So here I am!â
Addressing Alcarazâs withdrawal, Djokovic said: âHe is a two-time defending champ. Itâs a big blow for the tournament not to have him, but that doesnât change my approach to the tournament.
âMy primary concern is my body. If Iâm healthy throughout the tournament, I also have a very good chance, like I showed in Australia.â
Read more:
O que achou dessa notĂcia? Deixe um comentĂĄrio abaixo e/ou compartilhe em suas redes sociais. Assim conseguiremos informar mais pessoas sobre o que acontece no mundo do tĂȘnis!
Esta notĂcia foi originalmente publicada em:
Fonte original
