Emma Raducanu withdrew from her opening match of the season against Naomi Osaka in the United Cup in Perth.
But the British No 1 could yet return in time for Great Britainâs next group stage match against Greece as she deals with an unknown injury.
The 23-year-old was due to face four-time grand slam winner Osaka but was replaced by Katie Swan shortly before the start of play.
Osaka defeated the British No 10 Swan 7-6 (4) 6-1, while Billie Harris, who replaced the injured Jack Draper, won his match against Shintaro Mochizuki 7-6 (4) 7-3.
In the deciding mixed doubles rubber, Neal Skupski and Olivia Nicholls overcame Yasutaka Uchiyama and Nao Hibino in a tense match tie-break, triumphing 7-5 4-6 10-7.
Tim Henman, who is captain of the Team GB side, told Australian broadcaster Channel Nine that Raducanu was âvery, very closeâ to competing.
The former US Open champion missed two exhibition matches in December in order to focus on getting fit for the 2026 season.
âI don’t think she is necessarily out of this tournament just yet,â Henman said. âIt was not any easy decision. She had been building up and practising really well.â
After Team GBâs 2-1 win, Henman was asked for more details on Raducanuâs fitness. âShe struggled with her foot at the end of last year,â he said.
âThe improvement she’s made has been fantastic. She’s been practising in London, only doing static drills, to be out on the practice court and moving and playing games. She’s very close.â
âIn terms of tomorrow, it’s still a little bit up in the air. We’re forced to put Emma on the list because if we didn’t do that, then that only gives us one option. When we get back tonight, we’ll discuss it as a team.â
The Australian Open begins in Melbourne on Sunday 18 January.
O que achou dessa notĂcia? Deixe um comentĂĄrio abaixo e/ou compartilhe em suas redes sociais. Assim conseguiremos informar mais pessoas sobre o que acontece no mundo do tĂȘnis!
Esta notĂcia foi originalmente publicada em:
Fonte original