NEW YORK â Any way you swing it, this yearâs US Open was a letdown for the American men.
The Americans entered the tournament at Flushing Meadows with a chance to build on the momentum of last year, when Taylor Fritz advanced to the Open final and Frances Tiafoe joined him (and lost to him) in the semifinals.
The U.S. had four men â No. 4 Fritz, No. 6 Ben Shelton, No. 14 Tommy Paul and No. 17 Tiafoe â seeded within the top 20 at this yearâs event.
But none made it past the quarterfinal, nor did any of the Americans ranked below them.
Itâs been 22 years since Andy Roddick won the US Open in 2003. Thatâs the last time an American man won the US Open â or any Grand Slam, for that matter.
âThis is my favorite tournament,â Shelton said on Aug. 22, two days before the start of the Open. âI think that weâve got a lot of guys ⊠who can make deep runs here and play against the best players in the world. I think that itâs a matter of time for us.â
This is the first time since 2021 that an American man did not make it to the US Open semifinals.
The ascendant Shelton, 22, appeared poised for a deep run before a left shoulder injury forced him to retire from his third-round match against Franceâs Adrian Mannarino.
The left-handed Shelton won two of the first three sets that day before he began experiencing the shoulder issue during the fourth. He lost that set, then withdrew before the fifth.
Shelton was in the midst of his best professional season â he went to the Australian Open semifinals, the fourth round of the French Open and the Wimbledon quarterfinals â which inspired hope ahead of his home Slam.
About an hour after Sheltonâs early exit, Tiafoe was defeated in straight sets by Germanyâs Jan-Lennard Struff, also in the third round.
âItâs going to be hard to swallow how I played today, and being out of the US Open, for sure, this early,â Tiafoe said.
Paul, too, was defeated in the third round, going the distance against No. 23 Alexander Bublik but ultimately falling 7-6(5), 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-1.
That left Fritz, 27, as the final hope, but he failed to exorcise his demons against seventh-seeded Novak Djokovic, 38, who improved his head-to-head record to an incredible 11-0.
Fritz started 0 for 10 on break points in that quarterfinals defeat, dropping the first two sets and ultimately losing in four.
âTo be honest, the fact I was 0-10, that actually almost sounds better for me than it really was, because thatâs not counting how many times I had 15-30, Love-30, 30-All,â Fritz said. âThe fact that I was 0-10, thatâs putting it nicely. I had so many more chances that youâre not going to see on a stat line.â
American men used to dominate the US Open, with Jimmy Connors and Pete Sampras winning five apiece and John McEnroe winning four.
But that was a long time ago, and in the decades since, itâs been all about the international juggernauts.
Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Djokovic combined to win the Open 13 times between 2004 and 2023.
Now, Jannik Sinner of Italy and Carlos Alcaraz of Spain are the heavyweights hanging over any tournament. And Djokovic continues to prove he has something left in the tank, advancing to the semifinals in all four of the major tournaments this year.
Alcaraz won the Open in 2022, followed by Djokovic in 2023 and Sinner in 2024.
âI was really excited at ⊠what I was looking at in the draw,â Fritz said after Tuesdayâs loss. âOh, I will have the opportunity to do the coolest thing ever, play Novak, potentially try to go through Novak, Carlos and Sinner. I thought that was kind of cool. I like the challenge.â
But the challenge proved to be too much â and, thus, the drought continues.
____
O que achou dessa notĂcia? Deixe um comentĂĄrio abaixo e/ou compartilhe em suas redes sociais. Assim conseguiremos informar mais pessoas sobre o que acontece no mundo do tĂȘnis!
Esta notĂcia foi originalmente publicada em:
Fonte original
